Monday, June 22, 2009

MJ's Green Big Girl Room

We've been putting together a new room for Marlee so that it frees up the nursery for the new baby. Oh wait, I don't even think I told you I'm having another baby! See, that 's what slacking will do to you. I'm due September 29 with another baby girl...We're calling her "Slim," but that's another story for another post.

I've definitely taken the environment into concern when decorating Marlee's room. Some things are not in the budget for me (like organic or vintage quilts, which i REALLY wanted), but I have been able to take some steps that make her room a little greener.

1. Antique Market finds- I purchased an antique dresser, vintage chandelier, and lots of accessories at antique/flea markets. Every thing you buy used (like antique stores, garage sales, craigslist, etc) keeps it out of a landfill and prevents the need to have something manufactured. I think it's the biggest thing you can do.

2. Low VOC paint- It's readily available now in any color you could want. All the major paint lines offer low VOC options.

3. Sensibly manufactured new stuff- We bought a set of small bunkbeds and mattresses at Ikea. They have responsible manufacturing and business policies, so it's a good choice when you have to buy new. Not to mention it's kind on the wallet!

Pictures coming soon!

1 comments:

Christine said...

Post pics- I want to see your latest decorating, you have such a great style! :)