Monday, July 6, 2009

Better Than Jell-O

Marlee is currently sick with croup, and doesn't seem to want to eat anything that's not cold and smooth. Jell-O seems like an obvious choice in times like these, but I was a bit put off by the ingredients list:

INGREDIENTS:
Sugar, gelatin, adipic acid (for tartness), contains less than 2% of natural and artificial flavor, disodium phosphate and sodium citrate (control acidity), fumaric acid (for tartness), yellow 6, red 40, BHA (preservative).


I decided to attempt my own version. Here is my ingredients list:

1 package kosher/vegan gelatin
3 cups Vruit brand juice
[Apple Juice, Orange Juice, Peach Juice, Carrot Juice, Cucumber Juice, Celery Juice, and Spinach Juice (Water, Juice Concentrates); Natural Flavors, Vitamin C, Beta Caroten]
1 cup water
frozen (or fresh) organic blueberries

Mix juice and water (I only did this to cut sugar content). Pour one cup juice in a large bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let sit while you bring remaining juice to a boil. Pour the hot juice over the cold juice and gelatin and stir, about 3 minutes. Pour into a 13x9 pan and add blueberries. Chill until set, about 3 hours. Cut into squares or with cookie cutters.

Want a comparison?

Jell-O /My Version

Sugar 19g /12g
Protein 0 /1g
Potassium 0 /175mg
Vitamin A 0 /100%
Vitamin C 0 /100%
Iron 0 /2%
Calcium 0 /2%

Delicious!

(I'll post pictures tonight!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Sorry she's icky.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely trying this immediately or sooner!